top of page

Frequently Asked Questions


Please take a moment and read our frequently asked questions.  Many clients ask the same questions about their workers' compensation or longshore and harbor workers' injury.  We have placed some of most requested answers below.

What is the first thing I should do if I get hurt?


If you have a workplace injury, whether its workers' compensation or longshore and harbor workers', you should notify your supervisor.  If at all possible, do this the day you are injured-- even if you think your injury may be minor.


If you have been involved in an automobile accident or a personal injury case, you should take picture of the accident site and any vehicles or objects involved.

Can I choose my own doctor?

In a personal injury or automobile case, you may choose your own doctor.  Be sure to document all your injuries with your doctor and follow all of their medical advice.

In a Virginia workers' compensation case, your employer should provide you with a list of at least three unrelated doctors from whom you can choose to treat.


In a longshore and harbor workers' case you should be able to choose your own doctor entirely on your own.

Am I owed lost wages?

In a personal injury case, we will seek payment of all of your lost wages.  You will need documentation from your employer of the time you missed from work.


In a workplace injury, if your treating physician has excused you from all work, your employer will typiccally owe you lost wages.


In a Virginia Workers Compensation Case, there is a 7 day waiting period before wages are owed.


In a Longshore and Harbor Workers Case, lost wages are owed for every day out of work.


If your treating physician has restricted you to light duty, your employer might owe you lost wages if they can not provide you with light duty work.

How long can I get lost wages?

In a personal Injury case, we will seek payment for all of your lost wages, including future lost wages.


If you have a Virginia workers' compensation case, in most cases you can received lost wages for up to 500 weeks.


If you have a longshore and harbor workers' case, with certain types of injuries, there may be no limit to the amount of time you can receive lost wages.

What if I have a permanent injury?


Many of our client do have a permanent injury.  In these case, the client may not be able to return to their pre-injury work.  We will take this into account in any trial or settlement.

For clients injured at work who choose not to settle, we work to make sure the insurance company provides them with appropriate benefits.

bottom of page